The Compass aims to locate and flag up outstanding poetry. Published three times a year, it comes out of North West England but comprises striking British and international poetry. It also publishes articles and interviews, and reviews of collections by established voices and new voices to watch out for.
Edited by: Lindsey Holland & Andrew Forster
Reviews: Please note that unsolicited titles for review aren’t currently accepted. Suggestions from publishers are welcome but we can’t promise a response to these
We want to explain, and apologise for, the silence at The Compass over the last few months. The magazine is currently an entirely voluntary endeavour and both editors have been unusually busy with various significant commitments. We are putting in place a solid system to ensure that a delay like this doesn’t recur and that The Compass expands in the ways we’ve always envisaged. We’re aware that the magazine is very well loved (thank you for all your emails about it) and want to reassure our readers that it is still very much an active publication. The next issue will appear in late July. Updated issue deadlines can be found below.
If we have your poems for consideration, we’re sorry for the long wait for a response. We will assume you are still happy for us to consider them unless we hear otherwise. We will be in touch very soon.
- Submissions of no more than six poems as a single word document (.doc or .docx only) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the word SUBMISSION in the subject line of your email.
- Please include your name on every page.
- The body of your email should include the titles of your poems and a biography of no more than 75 words.
- Final selection for each issue will only take place after the deadline date for that issue so please allow up to 6 months for a response, though in most cases this will be sooner.
- Simultaneous submissions will not be accepted. Your poems must not have been submitted elsewhere in any form. We accept your submission as offering us first refusal on the work. If we accept work that is then withdrawn because it has been published elsewhere it causes us major problems as editors so please try and make our job easier.
- We won’t accept alterations to poems after we’ve decided to publish them. We are reading the poems in good faith as finished versions. If we love them enough to publish them, that means we love them as they are.
- If we choose to publish your poems, we will need to receive a photograph from you quickly. Please have a quality headshot of yourself, at least 1MB in size, ready to send to us.
- We do accept translations of poetry if these are sent with the original poet’s permission. Translations will be presented as the original poet’s work ‘translated by’ the translator. Before accepted poems are published we will require biographies and high resolution images of both the original poet and the translator.
- The Compass accepts proposals for articles, interviews and other projects which may suit the magazine. In the first instance, email us a brief 100 – 200 word description of your project or article, attaching it as a .doc or .docx file.
- 30th September (for November/December 2017, Issue 6) SUBMISSIONS OPEN
- 31st January (for the March/April 2018 Issue 7)
- 31st May (for the July/August 2018 Issue 8)