The Compass Magazine Poetry Week: Ponden Hall, Haworth
THE COMPASS MAGAZINE POETRY WEEK:
PONDEN HALL, HAWORTH
Monday 2nd to Thursday 5th November 2015
Tutors: Andrew Forster and Lindsey Holland
TO BOOK: contact Ponden Hall direct and say you’re booking for The Compass Magazine Poetry Week. Telephone Julie on: 01535 648 608. Spaces are very limited.
- You can find detailed information about the course, activities, accommodation and Ponden Hall’s links to the Brontës in our PDF here
- Our schedule for the course is here
- The Bronte children first visited Ponden Hall during the eruption of the Crow Hill Bog, when they sheltered there during the phenomenon. You can read this story here
- Read the story of Lily Cove, the Edwardian balloonist who fell to her death in Ponden Hall’s back field, here
Sensing Place: Presence and Absence
How can we capture the spirit of a landscape though poetry?
How can we use history to write poems that speak to our times?
Spend three nights in Ponden Hall, as close as you can get to being in Wuthering Heights itself. The building is rich with evidence of its links to the Brontës and even earlier histories, nestling above Ponden reservoir, beside the Haworth moors.
Through a combination of writing exercises, discussion, reading poems by other writers, one-to-one tutorials and tours and walks, tutors Lindsey Holland and Andrew Forster, editors of The Compass, will help you create new poems in this magical location. Workshops are suitable for beginners or those with some experience who are looking for new inspirations and a fresh approach, and there will be plenty of time to soak up the atmosphere and just write.
- Tuition and workshops each day
- 3 nights full board accommodation in Ponden Hall, including mid-afternoon coffee, tea and cake
- a guided walk to Top Withens or Wycoller
- a guided tour of Haworth and the Brontë Parsonage
- a guided tour of Ponden Hall
- poetry readings and evening entertainment
If you would like to stay for an additional night on 5th November, you can do so for the special Compass price of £40.
All activities are optional. Spaces are very limited so please book early to avoid disappointment.